Degree in Three is a special program designed to assist students who wish to graduate in three years or less. While all students are welcome to explore this accelerated path, Degree in Three is typically best for students who enter Florida State with college credit earned through AP, IB, AICE, or dual enrollment. Developed in the Division of Undergraduate Studies, Degree in Three is now managed in the Graduation Planning and Strategies Office. Please contact the Degree in Three coordinator, Kimberly Lloyd, with any questions.
Degree in Three students should:
- have researched major options at Florida State and feel confident in the major(s) they want to complete
- enter Florida State with college credit from AP, IB, AICE, and/or dual enrollment
- know which type of graduate school, professional school, or career field they want to pursue
Benefits of Degree in Three:
- Degree Plan: To join Degree in Three, you will complete a three-year degree plan with your academic advisor. This allows you to determine the courses you will take and when you will take them, giving you more ownership over your own educational path.
- Priority Registration: Students formally enrolled in Degree in Three receive priority registration every semester they are active in the program.
- Financial Benefits: Completing a degree even one year early can save a typical student over $20,000 in tuition, books, and living expenses.
- Career/Future: Start your future earlier, whether that be by furthering your education or entering directly into your intended career field.
How it works:
- Step 1: Attend an information session (suggested, not mandatory)
- Step 2: Contact the Degree in Three advisor for your major to set up an in-person meeting
- Step 3: Fill out the Degree in Three online application with your advisor and submit!
- Step 4: Wait to receive a confirmation of your acceptance into the program
- Step 5: Follow your Degree in Three plan and notify the coordinator of any big changes ASAP
- Step 6: Graduate in three years or less!
Things to consider:
- Academic and Career Confidence: Before joining Degree in Three, you should be confident in your major as well as long-term career goals. We do not encourage you to pursue an accelerated path if you have not thoroughly researched and are certain about your short and long-term academic plans.
- Research: Florida State offers students phenomenal opportunities to participate in research. Some research opportunities require a 2+ semester commitment. Degree in Three may not allow certain research experiences unless you start the engagement process early.
- Graduate/Professional School Prep: Many graduate/professional programs require an entrance exam as well as experience in research, internships/employment, and student organizations. You should meet with an academic and career advisor early to intentionally plan your engagement activities. This will ensure you can complete all necessary components to be a strong applicant to graduate/professional school.
- Work/Life Balance: There is the possibility that Degree in Three students will take heavier course loads. Before joining Degree in Three, you should consider your academic and extracurricular goals and expectations for your undergraduate career and speak with an academic advisor to determine the course load for your specific degree plan.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I join Degree in Three?
- When can I join Degree in Three?
- How many credits should I enter with?
- I want to pursue a graduate program which requires completion of specific prerequisites. Can I still graduate in three years?
- Does Degree in Three look good for application to graduate programs?
- How do I find my Degree in Three advisor?
Students should first attend an informational meeting, held at the beginning of each semester. You will then contact your academic advisor and schedule a meeting to discuss your goals to accelerate, incoming college credit, and whether Degree in Three is possible. To formally join, you will need to complete the application with your academic advisor. Once your application is submitted, it will be reviewed by the Degree in Three coordinator and you will be notified.
You are able to join Degree in Three at any point during your time as an undergraduate at FSU. While most students join their freshmen year, you can complete the application at any time with your academic advisor.
You do not have to earn a certain amount of accelerated credit in order to join Degree in Three. However, a higher number of credits may keep you from taking heavier course loads in the fall and spring terms. It is more important how your incoming credits can apply to your major (covering prerequisite courses, minor, foreign language, etc.).
Whether you can complete prerequisites (as well as all major and university requirements) in three years will all depend on your incoming college credit, the requirements of your specific major, and how many courses you take per semester. You must speak with your academic advisor about the possibility of Degree in Three before deciding on this accelerated path.
You should speak with graduate programs of interest to see if/how Degree in Three will be viewed on your application. Some graduate programs place an emphasis on experiential learning, which may take 4 years to complete.
Navigate to the FSU Advisor Search page, and find the “Select Your College” drop-down bar. Please select “Other Advising Services” at the bottom of the options. A new drop-down bar titled “All” will appear. Please select “Degree in Three” from the options available, and locate the Degree in Three advisor for your major/department. If you do not see anyone listed for your major/department, please contact your Academic Advisor.