The Graduation Planning & Strategies Office supports students who earned an Associate of Arts (AA) degree while in high school in the following ways:
- Facilitate connection by meeting with students in their first term
- Audit transcripts to ensure AA degrees are posted
- Provide regular social opportunities for first year students
- Facilitate a high school AA peer mentorship program for first year students
- Offer a 0-1 credit hour course to help first-semester students transition to FSU
- Connect with students at any time throughout their academic career
High School AA Mentorship Program
Transitioning to FSU with 60+ credits already earned through dual enrollment in high school can be simultaneously exciting and challenging. The high school AA mentorship program enables first year students to connect with upperclassmen who have also earned an AA degree in high school.
The goals of this program are to help new students:
- Feel at home at FSU
- Increase awareness of and confidence navigating FSU resources and opportunities
- Promote personal and academic growth
Not only does the high school AA mentorship program serve to promote development in new high school AA students, this program enables student mentors to:
- Gain leadership skills
- Share their experience and expertise with mentees
If you are interested in having a peer mentor in your first year at FSU or in potentially serving as a high school AA student mentor to new students, please contact Heather Shattuck.
IDS 1107: The High School AA Florida State Experience
This 0-1 credit hour course is approved as part of FSU’s Engage 100 initiative and is an option exclusively for first-semester students who earned an Associate of Arts (AA) degree while in high school.
This course empowers high school AA students to make the most of their time at FSU by ensuring that they:
- Proactively reflect on how the high school AA degree impacts their identity and plans at Florida State
- Explore FSU’s resources and culture
- Connect with fellow high school AA students
Students choosing IDS 1107: The High School AA Florida State Experience will learn directly from enthusiastic and knowledgeable upperclassmen who also earned their AA degrees in high school.
More information will be posted here about the peer instructors for the fall 2024 sections of the course in May. New high school AA students for summer and fall 2024 should speak with their academic advisor at orientation if they are interested in registering for this Engage 100 experience in their first semester.